Buying a UK Property
Our private client team specialise in structuring for UK property investors.
The UK’s tax regime is complex, and it is particularly important to consider the distinctions between:
- Investing in UK property, and UK property development
- Commercial and resident property
- Resident and non-resident investors
- Domiciled and non-domiciled individuals
- Investing in your own name or through a structure such as a company or trust
It is crucial to take advice in order to understand the tax implications arising from a UK property investment, and to mitigate the UK tax exposure where possible. In nearly all cases, it is better to consider any planning opportunities prior to acquiring UK property.
We can assist with a range of associated UK property tax issues including:
- Structuring for UK property businesses
- Offshore company and trust taxation where property is to be owned
- “Enveloping” and “de-enveloping” of UK properties
- Advice on the Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (“ATED”)
- Assessing an individual’s residence and domicile position
- Stamp Duty Land Tax on the acquisition of UK property
- Tax reporting for non-UK resident landlord individuals and companies
- Advising on the availability of principle private residence relief and other available reliefs
- Capital gains tax for non-residents
- Planning for tax-efficient remittance of funds to the UK
- Business Investment Relief for non-domiciled taxpayers
- Completion of tax returns with associated disclosures etc.
We work on a fixed fee basis and will always agree fees in advance once the scope of the advice and/or compliance requirements has been agreed with a client.
We would be pleased to arrange an initial free introductory telephone call with a view to assessing your tax position and agreeing the next steps with regards providing formal detailed advice and/or assistance with your tax return preparation.
Please email the UK Private Client Tax at email@example.com or call the team on +44 (0) 20 8037 1100.